Our courses will require students to interact with their peers through discussion, video and interactive modules. Therefore, access to a computer with the recommended hardware, software and internet connection speed is crucial to online learning in the online Occupational Therapy Assistant program.
Students must be able to access and change settings, including firewall settings. For this reason, the primary use of a public computer, such as a library computer, is not recommended.
St. Catherine University cannot assume responsibility for the inability of a computer to connect to University websites or course delivery sites. Students are responsible for keeping computers in working order and should notify an instructor immediately if a computer issue limits a student’s ability to fully participate in course activities.
Recommended Computer Specifications
|Computing Device||A full-featured PC or MAC laptop or desktop, with a webcam.|
NOTE: Google Chromebooks cannot run Microsoft Office, the university’s standard word processing platform, and may experience other limitations. iPads do not run all academic applications and should not be used as the primary device.
|Operating System||Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows Pro (not RT)|
How to Find Your Windows Computer Specs
|Mac OS X (version 10.6 Snow Leopard or later)|
How to Find Your Mac Computer Specs
|Processor||Dual Core 2.4 GHz or better||Dual Core 2.4 GHz or better|
|Hard Drive||10 GB or more unused and available space||10 GB or more unused and available space|
|RAM / Memory||2–4 GB or more||2–4 GB or more|
|DVD/CD Drive||Combo drive (dvd-rom/cd-rw)||Combo Drive (dvd-rom/cd-rw)|
(Unsecured WIFI, e.g., coffee shop access, is NOT recommended)
|High-speed connection, such as DSL, Cable modem, ISDN, T1, or T3 lines, is recommended for all students and is required for any courses that include video or video desktop conferencing. Test your connection on SpeedTest Recommended download speed of at least 15 Mbps and upload speed of at least 4 Mbps. >link to (URL or PDF file location)|
It is recommended that you have at least two video players installed on your computer to accommodate different file types.
|Pick two video players from the list below:|
QuickTime Player: Access Here
VLC Media Player: Available Here
Windows Media Player (PCs only):
|Macintosh Media WMV Player: Flip4Mac (MACs only) ($29):|
Mac Media WMV Player
So you can share files electronically with instructors and fellow learners.
|Microsoft Office 2019 Home, Student or Professional version.||Microsoft Office Mac 2019 or later|
Note: iWorks is not acceptable.
- Google Docs (free with St. Kate’s Google Apps email account)
- Office 2013 (Windows) and 2011 (Mac) are available for a reduced price from Microsoft for students at The Microsoft Store.
Additional Software Requirements
Technology Requirements for Incoming Students
Learners are Responsible for:
- Keeping computers in good working order and notifying their instructor(s) when computer issues interfere with their ability to participate fully in course activities.
- Having administrative rights on their computers for software installs and the ability to control settings on their computers
- Having access to broadband internet connection. We do not recommend relying on public, shared or business internet access, as these networks may not permit access to certain course materials or systems due to security settings or reliability concerns.
Additionally, if you need any assistance setting up your system, we are here to help!
- If you are missing software or other required services, contact the Request Services page.
- If something breaks and you need to report an issue or ask a question, call 651-690-6402 (answered 24/7).
Other Ways to Reach the Help Desk
Email: [email protected]
Long Distance: 1-800-945-4599, ask for extension 6402.
Web: Visit ServiceNow for our Knowledge Base articles and service request forms.
The Ultimate Guide to Occupational Therapy and OTA
Get answers to your questions about the field, about the OTA career path, and about St. Catherine University’s Online OTA program.