St. Kate’s History
St. Catherine University (formerly the College of St. Catherine) was founded in St. Paul in 1905 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. In 1887, the Sisters founded St. Mary’s School of Nursing, later named St. Mary’s Junior College. St. Mary’s merged with St. Catherine in 1986, making the University the oldest healthcare educator in Minnesota. St. Kate’s strengthened its commitment to excellence in healthcare education in September 2007 with the launch of the Henrietta Schmoll School of Health. The School’s ambitious mission aims to reshape the education of healthcare professionals at all degree levels.